Monday, May 07, 2007

Brawk.

I've been holding out on saying anything, because I didn't want to jinx it like last time, but... I think we bought a house! I'm not counting my chickens until the keys are in my hand, but we're done with negotiations, inspections, more negotiations, and now all we're waiting for is the appraisal, and we should be moving in less than a month.

We finally found something we loved and could afford by expanding our search to include larger houses where we could have two housemates, and thus more rental income. This one is an adorable 1924 bungalow with five (five!) bedrooms, meaning that The Lady and I will each have a small office/studio to ourselves. I have been waiting my entire adult life to say those words.

Despite being of exceedingly cute design and well laid out, it's dirty and full of incredibly tacky shit. Fake wood paneling, ugly linoleum, fir floors under two layers of vinyl, which is itself under shag carpet.... you name it, we've got it. The next few months of my life will include much ripping, scraping, sanding and painting, so the knitting will slow down a bit, but I'll be regaling you with crafts of the homeowner variety.

To wit: I wasn't being entirely truthful about not counting my chickens. Meet the newest members of the fold. (1, 2, 3.)

From left to right, Starbuck, Lambchop, and Isabella.

These ladies came home with us yesterday from Boring, and I am in love with them already. (Especially Lambchop, but don't tell.) I've been wanting chickens for years, and I can't wait to watch them grow into big, sweet, clucking egg machines.


Starbuck is a Buff Orpington, Lambchop a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Isabella an Ameraucana (blue eggs!). We picked the breeds for friendliness, laying ability, and looks, and I certainly can't say I'm disappointed as to the latter so far. They're so cute I can hardly stay at work, knowing they're chittering away at home.

8 comments:

Nestling for Delight said...

Who will love Starbuck the most? Lee? Anders?

pamela wynne said...

Congratulations!!! SO exciting!

And to answer Katie's question: clearly, President Roslin luvs Starbuck the most. Or possibly Racecar -- it's hard to tell with all that sexual tension.

satsumabug said...

Like your tags say: CHICKENS!!!! HOUSE!!!! I'm so excited. :) Please do post more pictures and updates as both chickens and house become older and prettier. :)

Courtney said...

Oh so much chicken cuteness! I love the names. Congratulations!!!!! on the house. I can't wait to see it.

knittingphilistine said...

Congrats on the new house! And I heart your sweet new babies...

Sarah said...

When I saw the tags on this post I immediately sang them to "Brick House."

"She's got a chicken....hooouuuuuuuse."

Congrats! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Christy said...

What cuties!
And Congrats on the house too.

Rosina said...

Best wishes on the house. It really is amazing what some "elbow grease" can do!