Friday, August 03, 2007

Redemption, mostly.

Baudepaloozalaires, A.K.A. A pair of socks that is neither as long-legged nor as punctual as I'd planned, but still very pretty if I do say so myself, A.K.A. the 36-hour sock:



Faced with two very mismatched socks ('very' being a relative term)I had three choices:
A. Knit a second sock in the lighter dyelot, on US 2s, knowing my pal specifically requested a fine gauge.
B. Rip out the lighter, looser sock, and knit two new socks on US 1s. Starting on Tuesday night.
C. Rip the darker, finer, better fitting sock (of which dyelot I had but one skein) back to where it weighed just under half of the total, reknit the ribbing, and knit a second short, dark, fine sock.

Once option C occurred to me, there really seemed no other choice. To whoever first thought to knit a sock toe-up? THANK YOU.

I think the thing I'm the happiest about, actually, is that despite the roadblocks and the frustration, and the almost crying late at night, I genuinely enjoyed knitting these -- all three of them. I think that means I like to knit or something.

And should I ever feel like knitting this pattern again (it could be awhile), I'm already halfway to a pair of my own.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Brilliant solution. That is some speedy knitting, girl-your pal should be mighty impressed!

Kristy said...

It looks like you made the right choice! They look beautiful (I love the color) and I'm sure your pal will appreciate all the work you put into them!

Lisa R said...

I love both the color and the height of the sock! Unlike apparently every other sock knitter in the blogosphere, I don't like the 7" (or longer!) sock cuff. The socks are marvelous. :)

Stacey said...

what a great idea. and like you said - you are halfway to another pair!

Courtney said...

They are gorgeous, sounds like a real trial to finish them. Where did you get your sock blockers?

Anonymous said...

Good choice, and I like how you are totally looking at the silver lining here. They look great!

Neuroknitter said...

They are gorgeous! You should be proud of your accomplishment! I would be delighted to receive your pair!!! Good job!!!

Macoco said...

Your pal is very lucky to receive those beautiful socks.

Elinor said...

I think you definitely made the right choice. Sorry to hear that it was so frustrating though! Only a true knitter would have stuck with them! Way to go!