Tuesday, March 04, 2008

(Con)testing your skillz.

It's getting to be that time of year when I've fully recovered my post xmas mojo and harness it to knit myself a sweater that will be done just in time for the temperatures to preclude wearing it until next fall. I am nothing if not predictable. (I KNOW I could knit a summer garment, but I just don't want to, okay?)

Last year it was the stripey hourglass. This year I'm hybridizing two recent* sweater patterns, and I want YOU to guess which two. (There's something in it for you, as you might've guessed.) This was going to be my blogthday contest, and then it was going to be my knittiversary contest, but various factors intervened, and now it's a Just Because contest. You get three hints:

1. The authors of the two respective patterns are colleagues. (And not just in the sense that they're both knitwear designers -- they're employed by the same company.)

2. The titles of both patterns are at least vaguely geographical in theme.

3. One of the patterns is written for a fingering weight yarn, and the other for a worsted. I'm splitting the difference and using a sport weight:

Why yes, I AM more concerned with st gauge than row gauge. What tipped you off?


I'm only showing you the stockinette swatch, because obviously the pattern swatch would give away at least one of the two answers. But if you know my tendencies at all, the fact that I knit a pattern swatch in the first place might tell you something.

I can't tell if this is going to be super easy or super hard. I mean, it obvious to me because I already know. I've been thinking about this for months now and can't see it with an outsider's eyes. So if either lots of folks or nobody guesses correctly, I'll draw randomly. Partial credit may work in your favor. :)

And what do you stand to win?

We are loneleeeee and unused.

I've realized that owning knitting books is a silly venture for me. I rarely want to knit more than one or two patterns from any given book, and my library is great for that sort of thing. These are both lovely books, very lightly used, and I feel bad letting them sit on my shelf.

Comment by midnight PST on Friday, 3/7/08 with your guesses and which book you'd prefer, and I'll reveal the winner early next week. Good luck!!

*ETA: 'recent' = published in the last two years.

15 comments:

Rebekkah said...

My guesses are the Central Park Hoodie and the Forbes Forest Pullover.

If I'm the lucky winner, I'd love Victorian Lace Today.

I can't wait to see what the sweater looks like!

Mich said...

ooh! I desperately want a knitting book! I don't have one. I would prefer the the Fitted Knits, but really, would love either!

Denise said...

Did rebekkah just give the answers away? I have no idea who the designers are, but I did think about the Central Park Hoodie. It's been mentioned a lot lately and has the geographical part in it. I have no clue about the second one though so I won't be entering the contest. Anyone else though, might want to email you the answers?

Stella said...

Of course, I can't say whether Rebekkah is right or not, but if you think she is, go ahead and comment with the same answers. Or make a wild guess! Remember if no one gets it or if several do I'll choose randomly.

Kristy said...

Oh, I was getting all stressed out trying to figure out the answer, and then I realized that I have both of those books. Yay :) Now I can just relax and see what you're going to make!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Can't for the life of me figure it out...so I'll just wish you happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

Phew! I've those books (and feel just about the same way you do about them but can't get the MIL to stop buying 'em for me!) so now I can just enjoy. But I was thinking Venezia might be the fingering weight one, in which case--surprise!--I've been thinking about that one too.

Stacey said...

Hmmm - CPH came to my mind also, but I can't think of a second one!!

Macoco said...

Hmmm this is a good contest! My first guess would be Venezia and the Portland Pullover - both by interweave.

nova said...

I have no idea. But I hope it works out!

Courtney said...

I don't know but am looking forward to seeing the end result!

Neuroknitter said...

I'm with Courtney...I don't know, but am looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the end!

Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

I have the same trait of knitting summer garments in autumn and vice versa. So I'm also planning a winter sweater, which I won't be able to wear for months! And there are several summer tops languishing in my wardrobe which haven't been worn yet. Lovely comtest btw. I love American patterns and have used several so far. I have also learned a lot of new things from your blogs. Thank you so much.

Happy knitting, Willemtje (a Dutch knitter)

femiknitter said...

Okay, I've just looked through the Ravelry pattern browser, and the only pair I could come out with that meets the criteria are the same as Rebekkah: CPH and Forbes Forest Pullover--both recent, both interweave, both meet the gauge requirements.

If I'm the lucky winner, I would prefer the Fitted Knits, but either one would be great!

noricum said...

I haven't a clue, and am too lazy to google around, so I'll guess CPH and Forbes Forest Pullover as mentioned above, just to get my name in the hat. ;)