Wednesday, January 03, 2007

That's what I get for thinking "dominant" meant "on top".

Oh, little mitten, how I love you.


The Lady said to me last night, "That's easily the most beautiful thing you've ever knit", and I think I have to agree. My joy is only slightly tempered by two things -- 1. a little unevenness that I guess is almost inevitable in my first colorwork project, and 2. my own stupidity. I read Nona's post on yarn dominance months ago. I read it again when Grumperina linked it. I thought I knew it so well that I didn't need to read it when Eunny linked it. But I misremembered: I thought the yarn on top was the dominant yarn. It doesn't matter much in the cuff, the swirls, or the thumb, but the lozenge pattern at the top (and on the palm) isn't as crisp as I'd like.

It's a gift for a non-knitter, and I know she'll love them and not even notice a problem. But she probably would notice if the two were different, so now I have to knowingly knit the second mitten "wrong". Oh well. Stranding is fun enough to make up for it, and I'll get it right next time.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

That's the thing about things that come in pairs that is so frustrating sometimes, but hey I'm a knitter and I still think it is really beautiful! Good job stranding!

NeuroKnitter said...

Hi Stella! Good to hear from you! Woweee....look at you go! The mitten is awesome...The recipient will heart them for sure! I have been hankering after those since Eunny posted! Your Print o' the Wave stole is gorgeous!! And your grandmother is darling!! I can't wait to see what will be on your needles next! Happy New Year!!