Tuesday, November 13, 2007

139 days (It's a leap year.)

I just ordered the last of the yarn I need for Xmas projects, as well as a post-holiday project that I've been scheming about for months, now... and with that, I begin my fast. Hear me now, believe me later: I will not buy any new yarn until April 1st.

I know, I know, Gail, I said March, but after reviewing the evidence, April should be no problem. Don't you worry about me.

Here's what I've got either on the needles or awaiting a mate:

Details? Clicky clicky.

(Plus, of course, the Super Secret Xmas Thing, which is rapidly nearing doneness.)


Then we have yarn with a precise and imminent purpose:

Details? All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

(Plus what I just ordered -- a scarf and a sweater's worth.)

See? Piece of cake, right?

It wasn't actually this stock-taking that spurred me to temporarily swear off the LYS -- quite the reverse. It's just money is a little tight and I thought to myself, "Self, prolly we should hold off on the yarn-buying for awhile, eh? Maybe a few months even. I mean look at all these things we have lined up already." Once I looked, there was more than I'd reckoned. So this is more queue busting that stash busting.

After all, I'm not much of a stasher. Once we take away the leftovers from old completed projects, and the yarn bought with a specific project in mind (see above), we're left with this.

Oh, Shibui. What am I going to do with you?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a stasher, either, but I have recently taken a liking to it, since it's so much easier than knitting all those projects I don't want to finish. Heh.

p.s. I had never seen Shibui until I stepped into Knit Purl - and the whole time I was calling it "Shibwee" like it was French or something.

Neuroknitter said...

I can't help but worry...look at that teeny stash of two little balls of Shibui!! However, the two skeins of Ecowool is putting me at some ease....sigh. Black Sheep Gathering is just around the corner from your April deadline :)

Kath said...

Okay, I currently have an addiction to the Lamb's Pride so that label just jumped out at me. They don't have it at my LYS and I have to shop online or travel a bit to "feed my habit"! I'll be looking forward to seeing what that's for.

Anonymous said...

I love having conversations with my Self about budgeting! And I think having a small stash is very good, it keeps you focused, doesn't take up heaps of space, and I think you appreciate the yarn more than when you have a giant heaping pile of it.

I'm excited to see your projects progress through the winter!

Stacey said...

:) not bad leftovers! Love EcoWool - I really need to get some to do something with....

Courtney said...

Can't wait to watch all that lovely yarn transform into warm cozies...

Is that DB Silky Alpaca there in that gorgeous shade of wine? mmmm..yummy

I think I require an eggnog latte today.

Kristy said...

Good luck! I'm tempted to join you, but I'm not sure if I have the fortitude :)

I'm excited to see what all of your stashed yarn becomes!

a friend to knit with said...

oh what will become of your shibui???
it does look like you have more that enough to keep you busy!!!

Prachi said...

Good luck! Shibui does look lonely, but what a gorgeous shade!

Amy said...

*laughs* I'm sure you'll buck up and figure out something to do with the Shibui. :)

Be warned, though: I never used to be a stasher, either. Then the rationalization starts. "It's for a gift!" "I know exactly what project I'm going to knit with everything in that bin!" "But it was *cashmere*, 70% off!"

And before you know it, you have a yarn closet. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am waaaay too much of a stasher. I really am super impressed that you only have those two balls stashed!

Good luck with all the projects! Your Endpaper mitts are gorgeous so far, they will be even prettier when there's a pair ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm really trying not to be a stasher but it's so hard. I'm quickly trying to knit to use it up though! Can't wait to see all of your projects that you will complete before April 1st!

Anonymous said...

After my recent stash acquisitions (and trying to figure out where I am going to put it), I wish I could say that I wasn't much of a stasher, I guess I am not (hoarder...greedy hoarder, more like). Good luck with the moratorium, and good luck with the queue busting. I have some queue busting of my own to take care of!

nicole said...

THAT'S your stash? Holy Moly, you're one disciplined gal!!!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Well, my stash is a hideous affair that is making me feel mentally ill...I don't want to even face it myself!